Responsible for directing the movement and loading/unloading of vehicles and directing the movement of mobile plant. The Banksman will also control the movements of excavator or other mobile plant, by carefully monitoring the bucket for any obstructions and other vehicle movements and pedestrians.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1 Clearly direct vehicles and mobile plant at all times ensuring they are kept separate.
2 Minimise the amount of reversing where possible and be aware of the dangers caused when reversing.
3 Use practical techniques and agreed system of signalling and hand signals to assist drivers and operatives in all manoeuvres.
4 Be visible to drivers at all times whilst directing vehicles and plant.
5 Stand in a safe position, from which to guide all vehicles without being in the way. Keep traffic areas free of pedestrians.
6 Must be competent (certified) on lifting procedures and apparatus.
7 Be fully compliant with Personal Protective Equipment requirements of the site.
8 Always communicate clearly and effectively on the 2-way radio.
9 Report any near miss incidents involving vehicle movements in the area to the Foreman and complete associated paperwork.
10 Comply with all Health, Safety, Human Resources (HR) and Environmental policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is on a full-time basis.
Working overtime and during weekends may be required in order to meet tight deadlines.
EDUCATION & LICENSES REQUIRED
On-the-job training is usually offered by the employer.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / QUALITIES / TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS POSITION
• The ability to monitor operations, such as read gauges, dials and other indicators to see that heavy equipment is working properly
• Knowledge of health and safety procedures.
• Communication skills in Maltese and/or English
• The ability to follow instructions
• Numeracy skills
• Organisational and planning skills
• Problem solving and decision-making skills
• Time management and multitasking skills
• The ability to work under pressure
• The ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Arm hand steadiness
• Physical strength and stamina