Buyers at BigMat will be purchasing sustainable goods for resale at the best quality, most competitive prices and optimum stocks, while developing the assortment and taking care of the suppliers’ management.
We are looking for someone with a forward-thinking and entrepreneurial mindset, a collaborative attitude and who has prior product retail buying experience and good commercial awareness as this role plays an integral part in ensuring that our products are available in stores for our customers.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Category management and assortment building and optimization.
- Understand consumer trends to plan a strategy in line with market requirements.
- Sourcing the best products, locally and internationally.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with new and existing suppliers.
- Issue tenders (RFI/RFQ) and carry out the evaluation process.
- Negotiate prices as well as contract terms and conditions with suppliers.
- Develop rebate plans.
- Sign and improve contractual conditions with suppliers.
- Review stock levels and order products.
- Plan for payment and delivery.
- Prepare reports and present them to senior management.
- Include sustainability both in category management and in the sourcing process.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- Work in office on a full-time basis, occasionally spending time in warehouses, stores, competition visits and fairs
EDUCATION & LICENSES REQUIRED
- Experience in a similar role – Purchasing Executive, Assistant Buyer, Junior Buyer, Category Buyer, Buyer etc
- Experience working in a product and consumer-focused business, (preferably DIY or home improvement retailers – but not mandatory.)
- Requires a university degree (qualification at MQF Level 4 or higher) in relevant areas including procurement, business administration, sales and marketing, management, or commerce.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / QUALITIES / TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS POSITION
• An understanding of the retail industry the organisation is operating in
• Knowledge of the products and/or services available on the market
• Knowledge of competitors’ activities and pricing strategies
• Commercial and business awareness
• Financial skills
• Analytical skills
• The ability to adapt to different market needs
• Written and verbal communication skills in Maltese and English • IT skills • Numerical skills
• Organisational, Problem solving and decision-making skills
• Time management skills and the ability to cope with the pressure of demanding targets and tight deadlines
• The ability to work independently and as part of a team
• The ability to persuade, influence, negotiate and network successfully
• The ability to build long-lasting business relationships
• A results-driven approach with an entrepreneurial mindset • Attention to detail • Confidence, flexibility and perseverance
• Any experience in product development/design would be helpful