The role of a land surveyor in construction includes the measurement of properties. The surveyor locates buildings and marks their locations on the maps collectively known as surveys.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1 Survey existing building structures.
2 Survey land features of terrain which include extremes of boundaries and existing ground levels.
3 Set out proposed civil engineering structures.
4 Set out methods for proposed structures involving holding down bolts.
5 Conduct different types of land survey for tunneling, marine, high rising towers, division of plots and archaeological features.
6 Calculate areas and volumes from surveyed and excavated land.
7 Set corners, thicknesses of walls, door openings and directions of walls like in apartments and hotel rooms.
8 Be able to set out stairs (straight, curved, spiral) and garage ramps.
9 Liaison with Public Authority surveyor regarding alignment setting out and ensuring adherence with official markings
10 Liaison with Site Foreman on set out marks and levels.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
The Land Surveyor duties vary between site and office.
Work is on a full-time basis, from Monday to Friday. Working overtime and during weekends may be required in order to meet tight deadlines.
EDUCATION & LICENSES REQUIRED
Minimum 5 years job site experience.
Relevant qualifications and experience are required.
A Driving License.
On-the-job training is offered by the employer.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / QUALITIES / TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS POSITION
It is expected to have:
• Knowledge of Land Surveying techniques, principles, tools and instruments.
• Proficiency in Mathematics
• Knowledge of building methods and materials
• Knowledge of relevant legislation and processes such as the Building Regulation Act
• Knowledge of specialised Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software
• Knowledge Infinity Surveying software
• Knowledge of health and safety procedures
• Written and verbal communication skills in Maltese and/or English
• Numeracy skills
• Customer care skills
• IT skills
• Organisational and planning skills
• Problem solving and decision-making skills
• Time management skills
• The ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines
• The ability to work independently and as part of a team
• A methodical approach to work • A practical orientation • Accuracy • Attention to detail
• Diligence • Flexibility